Monday, March 26, 2012

How to change server name in SQL2K ?

For some reason I had to change server name. I also created new
registration in Enterprise Manager.
When I try to retreive data, it still looking for my old server name.
Where else should I change the server name . ?
ThanksHere is a quote from KB article 257716:
<< start quote >>
Q. Can I rename a server after installing SQL Server 2000?
A: Yes, you can rename a server after the installation of SQL Server
2000. When the SQL Server service starts for the first time after the
name change, it automatically recognizes the change and resets the
computer name. You do not need to run setup again to reset this value.
However, you must perform several additional configuration steps. To
correct the sysservers system table, you should manually run the
following procedures.
For a default instance: sp_dropserver <old_servername>
go
sp_addserver <new_servername> , local
go
<< end quote >>
You can also see the following KB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303774
Razvan

No comments:

Post a Comment