Wednesday, March 28, 2012

how to change server option for isolaiton level?

I'm having problem with locking in update and select.
my update takes long and select from clients happens all the time.
I know with NOLOCK in select or set transaction isolation level, I can
read data uncommited.
I want to know if there is an option I can change on server or
database
to change isolation level for all incoming connections.

thanks for your help in advance.AFAIK, you can't set READ UNCOMMITTED at the server level. This is
probably a good thing since one should read uncommitted data only in
specific situations where all off the ramifications have been fully
evaluated and understood.

--
Hope this helps.

Dan Guzman
SQL Server MVP

--------
SQL FAQ links (courtesy Neil Pike):

http://www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index...epartmentID=800
http://www.sqlserverfaq.com
http://www.mssqlserver.com/faq
--------

"neo" <second714@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:155f8e7d.0311071340.6727ff6d@.posting.google.c om...
> I'm having problem with locking in update and select.
> my update takes long and select from clients happens all the time.
> I know with NOLOCK in select or set transaction isolation level, I can
> read data uncommited.
> I want to know if there is an option I can change on server or
> database
> to change isolation level for all incoming connections.
> thanks for your help in advance.|||Hi

To add to Dan's comment...

Are you wanting to make the database read only?

John

"neo" <second714@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:155f8e7d.0311071340.6727ff6d@.posting.google.c om...
> I'm having problem with locking in update and select.
> my update takes long and select from clients happens all the time.
> I know with NOLOCK in select or set transaction isolation level, I can
> read data uncommited.
> I want to know if there is an option I can change on server or
> database
> to change isolation level for all incoming connections.
> thanks for your help in advance.|||Thanks to Dan/John.

No I just wanted to allow dirty-read, not read-only db.

I thought there was an option in SQL to set db to allow read uncommited.
Maybe for SQL 7?

"John Bell" <jbellnewsposts@.hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<boieas$93o$1@.titan.btinternet.com>...
> Hi
> To add to Dan's comment...
> Are you wanting to make the database read only?
> John
> "neo" <second714@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:155f8e7d.0311071340.6727ff6d@.posting.google.c om...
> > I'm having problem with locking in update and select.
> > my update takes long and select from clients happens all the time.
> > I know with NOLOCK in select or set transaction isolation level, I can
> > read data uncommited.
> > I want to know if there is an option I can change on server or
> > database
> > to change isolation level for all incoming connections.
> > thanks for your help in advance.|||Hi

This is not something you would want do as a default, and when you do
require it, then it has to be a concious decission to allow this;
therefore not having it at server level or as a default for the
connection is probably a good thing. You can always set it for the
connection/session.

John

second714@.hotmail.com (neo) wrote in message news:<155f8e7d.0311101122.ca78281@.posting.google.com>...
> Thanks to Dan/John.
> No I just wanted to allow dirty-read, not read-only db.
> I thought there was an option in SQL to set db to allow read uncommited.
> Maybe for SQL 7?
>
> "John Bell" <jbellnewsposts@.hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<boieas$93o$1@.titan.btinternet.com>...
> > Hi
> > To add to Dan's comment...
> > Are you wanting to make the database read only?
> > John
> > "neo" <second714@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:155f8e7d.0311071340.6727ff6d@.posting.google.c om...
> > > I'm having problem with locking in update and select.
> > > my update takes long and select from clients happens all the time.
> > > I know with NOLOCK in select or set transaction isolation level, I can
> > > read data uncommited.
> > > I want to know if there is an option I can change on server or
> > > database
> > > to change isolation level for all incoming connections.
> > > > thanks for your help in advance.|||Thanks,
one more thing,
what about Query analyzer?
is there any way not to run "SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL READ UNCOMMITTED"
everytime in Query Analyzer?|||Hi

As far as I know, you can't do this, configurable options appear on
the tools/options dialogues and that is not one of them. If it was you
could use a specific configuration file. The only thing I can suggest
it to put it in a template.

John

second714@.hotmail.com (neo) wrote in message news:<155f8e7d.0311111702.4609998d@.posting.google.com>...
> Thanks,
> one more thing,
> what about Query analyzer?
> is there any way not to run "SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL READ UNCOMMITTED"
> everytime in Query Analyzer?

No comments:

Post a Comment