Sunday, February 19, 2012

How to build an Analysis Services project

I have have created a analysis services project on my development machine, but I now want to be able to build this type of project on my build machine as part of my automated build process. I have installed the Business Intelligence Development Studio, but Visual Studio does not recognize the project type. What else do I need to install?

Thanks,

Anthony

Hi,

This command line does the build for me:

devenv "Analysis Services Project1.sln" /build Development

Having BI Development Studio installed should be enough, also please make sure that you run the 'devenv.exe' from '%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE' (in case you have multiple installed).

Adrian Dumitrascu

|||

Yes I am running devenv from the correct location. I have also tried to load the project into Visual Studio and all it does it open it like a text file.

Anthony

|||

In VS -> Help -> About, do you have an entry for 'SQL Server Analysis Services' ?

It seems that the BI Development Studio is not properly installed (or it was broken by something).

Adrian

|||My build problem was do to a bad path. My scripts were still looking at VS2002 instead of VS2005.

I have corrected my script, but I now have a new problem. When running the devenv command I am getting the following error.
Catastrophic failure (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000FFFF (E_UNEXPECTED))

If I open the project using the same command line, but I exclude the /build option and open it in the IDE, the project builds fine.
Any ideas as to why this project would not build from the command line?

Anthony

No comments:

Post a Comment